Tuesday 29 December 2020

Pagodas and A Magical Cat

 

Dear readers, I finally bit the bullet (or should that be musket ball) and commissioned a professional to redesign the cover art for my books. Larch Gallagher lives in medieval Ely, Cambridgeshire – described as “one of England’s spookiest cities” – with her magical cat that morphs in the winter cold.


Larch has completed the commission for Shadows and Pagodas and we’re really pleased with the result. In truth, I never felt the earlier artwork quite managed to do the novel justice despite many valiant attempts. Just never felt right, somehow. But Larch has a real talent for this sort of thing (not to mention patience) and conveyed the gothick elements in Shadows in a way that is hopefully original and dramatic. Note the Grail Cross and the ghostly Siamese temple to the right. Oh, and we’re working on a distinctive Jack Fielding ‘look, too’. This is a bit tricky because I write across different genres but I’m confident that we’re on the right path.


By way of explanation, I discovered Larch after much questing. It was her cat, you know. I encountered her in a crooked and cobbled Ely street where she led me to an occult shop not unlike the one Isabella finds in the novel. 
Magical Cat Boat Melody Seal
 
Larch was in the shop and said, “I really enjoy coordinating with new and published authors to bring their ideas to life.


And that’s just what she’s done.

Here's where you can find out more about Larch and her work:

https://thebookcoverdesigner.com/designers/larch-gallagher-design/
https://ipn.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01d3b72264bf15bc2b/



No comments:

Post a Comment